House Guest Eviction

Posted by admin filed under Landlord/Tenant Law.

There are certain people who have a tendency of overstaying their welcome. It may be a friend, a co-worker or even a family member. People allow other people into their homes in goodwill to help them out with a financial problem.

Extending a helping hand to someone in need can sometimes result in the person grabbing onto it for an uncomfortably long time. The following information will only apply to people who have not leased the house with you, like a room-mate. In that case, no matter how annoyed you are by your room-mate, you will have to make it work as they are also paying to live on that property.

The mailing address

To make sure that the person in question is legible to be removed by the police, you need to check if their mail is being delivered to your place. In the case that the person has changed their mailing address to your residence, the police will not get involved in the matter. If the case is not so, the police will be happy to oblige and take the said intruder out of your house, free of charge.

It is advised to talk to the person before getting the police involved; they may be willing to leave on their own if you take a serious stance in the conversation.

In the case that the police may not want to get involved since it does not seem to be a domestic violence case, you may contact an attorney to help you out with the eviction of the unwanted house guest. Since legal action is the only way you see fit, having a reliable attorney is advised for you to handle the situation by complying within the requirements of your current jurisdiction.

Legal Notice

If you have come to the conclusion that legal action is the only way to proceed with this problem, the house owner is advised to send a legal notice to the person. Although this person is not legally bound in a contract with you, the legal notice will still ensure that you have advised the person to leave the premises within 30 days. 30 days is the standard time given to tenants to evict the property and find a new place to live.

The Legal notice will serve as evidence that the house owner has complied with state law to the best of their efforts. Get your lawyer involved so they can oversee the process from the beginning, guiding you to create a legal notice that may be applicable in court if required.

The invader’s belongings

When handing the notice, you may inquire from the person to provide you with an address where you can send the belongings in case they fail to evict the house in 30 days. The risk here is that the guest may accuse you of a wrongful ousting in case of any damage to the property during transport or after they have left the premises. For this purpose, it is safe to file a tenant-eviction case. It is a bit more costly, but the safest way to rid your home of the large pest.

Contact Casement Group, P.C. today at (847) 888-9300 for a free consultation with an experienced and reliable attorney.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *